fetchmail, postfix, cyrus imap folder

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Nov 17 03:43:59 EST 2004

> Hi,
> i got a problem with a cyrus, postfix, fetchmail configuration on my
> server.
> Well the story is simple and maybe the answer, too.
> I´m using following configuration and i hope i don´t forget anything.
> I got postfix 2.0  installed, with cyrus imap 2 on a freebsd 4.10 system.
> The simpliest thing i want to do is fetchmail from my isp mails and put
> it to my cyrus imap folder.
> And it works, but now comes my question:
> When i do fetchmail first time my isp mailserver the mails will be
> delivered to my cyrus imap folder.
>  So long everything is oki, but sometimes i´m a stupid boy a delete some
> mails in the imap folder that after a week or so i want to read again.
> I was so smart to not let fetchmail delete my mails (keep) and than
> comes it the way i can´t explain to myself.
> When i do a second fetchmail to the isp server the old mails i´ve
> already delete in the cyrus imap folder will not be saved again ???
> Y that ?
> Is there something i don´t get into my mind or is this the way cyrus
> handles the imap folder ?  Deleted mails will never come through cyrus
> to my imap folder again ???
>
> Can somebody explain it to me or give me just a hint to an RFC where i
> can find the answer ?

No RFC needed here. Just think what would happen if every mail was fetched
again by fetchmail if you delete it from you INBOX or move it aways from
there, maybe to a shared folder or a subfolder of your own. It doesn't
matter what you do with a mail after it has been delivered to a mailbox,
it just matters whether it already _has_ been delivered to a mailbox.

HTH
Simon