Cyrus + postfix virtual mailboxes

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Nov 17 13:22:57 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Hamish wrote:

> Dick Davies wrote:
>
>> * Hamish <lists at subvs.co.uk> [1119 15:19]:
>>
>>> Hello everyone
>>> Could someone please point me in the right direction? I would like to use
>>> virtual mailboxes for users. Username, pass, aliases etc are stored in
>>> ldap and I would like to be able to just use this to store user
>>> information.
>>
>> Cyrus authentication can work that way, but unless you want to store mail
>> in LDAP you need a mailbox created in cyrus for the ldap entry as well.
>>
>> i.e.
>> to create a mail user
>> 1. ldapadd a user/password pair
>> 2. run 'cyradm' and then 'cm user.username'
>>
> I have found that there seems to be a way of using one user for all the
> virtual mailboxes with courier - is this possible with cyrus? IE one mailbox
> which dishes out virtual mailboxes.
> I want to be able to administer users in ldap, and not have to then change
> passwords etc anywhere else, so cyrus would have to check the user against
> ldap.

Just to be clear, you have to create the mailbox in cyrus so that mail can
be received.  You'll also have to delete the mailbox in cyrus when you
remove the user.  You can have cyrus authenticate against any number of
sources, including ldap.

Cyrus does not "read" ldap to figure out what mailboxes exist on the
system, so you're stuck with an extra step to create the mailbox.
However, you do not need to make a separate password in cyrus.

 	Andy