Cyrus + (insert Best MTA here) Suggestions

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 22:50:01 EST 2004

Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 4:18:

> So in effect, usage of cyrus IMAPd, will effectively take over
> procmails' job as the local LDA/LMTP.

Mail between Sendmail and Cyrus-IMAPd is handled over the LMTP socket.
So procmail does not have to be used (though it could be).

> I believe sieve functions much like procmail then? It also performs as a
> mail-filter/forwarder

Sieve is a Filter, right. It lets you sort incoming mail into mailboxes.
It lets you send automatic vacation messages. It can reject messages or
drop them.

> > (though of course you can do more
> > 'nasty' things than with Sieve - if always reasonlable?).
> I don't follow.

I am not sure if we misunderstood, but with procmail you can do things
which Sieve can't do. So for instance Sieve can not filter by mail body
inspection and I think piping to other programs like spamc or
clamassassin. Well, this can be realized at different place within the
mail server setup. On the other side Sieve has the advantage that you
can setup web administration for it using i.e. smartsieve or websieve
which allows users to customize filtering themselves, just by using
their browser.

> > Cheers Heng :)
> Actually, My name goes like this
> Ow - Surname
> Mun Heng - Given Name

I beg your pardon! I am always a bit unsure when speaking to Asian
people.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 04:46:49 up 1:28, 16 users, 0.08, 0.19, 0.59