Cyrus + (insert Best MTA here) Suggestions

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Nov 19 00:35:27 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 11:50, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 4:18:
>
> > So in effect, usage of cyrus IMAPd, will effectively take over
> > procmails' job as the local LDA/LMTP.
>
> Mail between Sendmail and Cyrus-IMAPd is handled over the LMTP socket.
> So procmail does not have to be used (though it could be).

So I was right in some sense. (refer below)
> > > (though of course you can do more
> > > 'nasty' things than with Sieve - if always reasonlable?).
> > I don't follow.
>
> I am not sure if we misunderstood, but with procmail you can do things
> which Sieve can't do. So for instance Sieve can not filter by mail body
> inspection and I think piping to other programs like spamc or
> clamassassin.

I see..

> Well, this can be realized at different place within the
> mail server setup.

Even on my sendmail system, I use milters instead of using procmail's
invocation. And since my mailbox is in MBOX format, and my other emails
are stored directly  under evolution's mail directories (either as
Mildir or mbox), procmail use to send direct is not recommended. (I
tried and then evo screws up of sorts)

>  On the other side Sieve has the advantage that you
> can setup web administration for it using i.e. smartsieve or websieve
> which allows users to customize filtering themselves, just by using
> their browser.

That I know.. cryadm comes to mind.

> > > Cheers Heng :)
> > Actually, My name goes like this
> > Ow - Surname
> > Mun Heng - Given Name
>
> I beg your pardon! I am always a bit unsure when speaking to Asian
> people.
Not a problem. It's expected.

--
Ow Mun Heng