cyrusdb error after REstarting master

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Nov 20 09:19:42 EST 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:26:45AM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.2.8 under OpenBSD-3.6.
> It works fine except for some issues I'm trying to solve.
> For now, I would like to uderstand the meaning of these errors:
>
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: checkpointing cyrus databases
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: DBERROR: error listing log files: Permission denied
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: DBERROR: archive /var/imap/db: cyrusdb error
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: DBERROR: error listing log files: Permission denied
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: DBERROR: archive /var/imap/db: cyrusdb error
> mcp ctl_cyrusdb[22187]: done checkpointing cyrus databases
>
> This only happens when I stop then restart the cyrus master process. When I
> boot the box and start master, it works fine without errors, but if I stop it
> then restart it, I get those. It is _not_ a file permission problem.
> While everything seems to work anyway, I would like to know why I get those
> errors.
>
> Here is how I stop / start cyrus:
> - start: /usr/local/cyrus/bin/master -d
> - stop: kill `cat /var/run/cyrus-master.pid`

Where are you located when you restart master?  Are you in a directory
that is readable by the Cyrus user?

This is very likely a result of a bug in master.  It should chdir to a
directory that is readable by the Cyrus user before it changes UID to
that user.  Otherwise, attempts to determine the current directory
will fail.