What hardware to handle this

Jim Bartus jbartus at advance.net
Mon Nov 22 18:20:35 EST 2004

I'm looking to redo our companys mailserver setup, and I want to move
from our current system of POP3 to an IMAP based system.  I've done a
fair amount of reading and Cyrus looks like the right answer, so I was
hoping you guys could help me out with some final details.

I have approx 500 users.  Of which probably only about 300 will be
connected at peak times, but they will be consantly connected in the
"check for new mail every 5 minutes" sense.  Overall the system will
deliver about 25 - 40,000 messages a day.  There will be a seperate SMTP
server delivering to this via LMTP, and a seperate webmail server
connecting in through IMAP.  Quota's will be set around 250MB and the
use of sieve filters will be enabled.  All with authenticate against our
LDAP server (its not purchased yet, but it'll be novell edirectory).

My major question is what kind of hardware will cyrus require to handle
that level of load?  Currently we were planning on buying a dual 3.0GHz
Xeon system with 2GB of ram running RHEL 3.0.  For storage it'll connect
via HBA to our EMC CX500 storage array.  Will that do it?  Does anyone
have anything similar setup?

One other question, is it possible to have the one IMAP server listen
for both encrypted and unencrypted connections?  We'll then use firewall
policies to make sure anything from outside the lan is SSL'd.

Thank you,
jim