What hardware to handle this

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Nov 22 19:00:31 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Jim Bartus wrote:
> I have approx 500 users.  Of which probably only about 300 will be
> connected at peak times, but they will be consantly connected in the

Hmm, enough IO and RAM, and Cyrus will handle that easily.

> My major question is what kind of hardware will cyrus require to handle
> that level of load?  Currently we were planning on buying a dual 3.0GHz
> Xeon system with 2GB of ram running RHEL 3.0.  For storage it'll connect
> via HBA to our EMC CX500 storage array.  Will that do it?  Does anyone
> have anything similar setup?

I have. Dual Xeon 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, but no FC. We use local U320 SCA drives on
raid 10.  I'd put 4GB in that machine, if I were you. 2GB for 300 concurrent
users is cutting a little too close IMHO, you will probably get some
swapping.

The amount of CPU you (and I) have on these servers is quite certainly
overkill.  But better safe than sorry.

> One other question, is it possible to have the one IMAP server listen
> for both encrypted and unencrypted connections?  We'll then use firewall

Yes.  Just configure cyrus properly. A single service can support normal and
TLS connections. IMAPS (SSL) requires a service of its own, but you can
configure Cyrus to not keep these around any longer than necessary, so
that's no problem at all.

> policies to make sure anything from outside the lan is SSL'd.

Make that TLS'ed if you can :-)

  Henrique Holschuh