imap transport returned 75

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Tue Nov 23 05:13:51 EST 2004

* Klaus Boehm <k.boehm at ewt.de> [1110 08:10]:
> Hello,
>
> i use exim3 with cyrus 1.5 an now i would like to change
> to exim4 and cyrus 2.1.
> in the old version i use in the exim.conf
> this line
> command = "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver ${local_part}"
>
> but this dont work in the new version.
>
> I get this error:
>
>  Child process of imap transport returned 75 (could mean temporary error)
>  from command: /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver
>
> what could it mean?

If your exim supports it, you can try LMTP - I found that works well and also
gives temporary errors when cyrus is down, so exim will queue mail til its
back up.

To see if its availble, try

rasputin at lb:openldap$ exim -bV|grep Transports
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
                                                       ^^^^

If it is, you need to enable a local lmtp socket in cyrus.conf

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
  #lmtp         cmd="lmtpd" listen="imap.tenfour:lmtp" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

and then just setup an exim transport to where the socket is:

lmtp_thru_socket:
  driver = lmtp
  batch_max = 20
  socket = /var/imap/socket/lmtp
  timeout = 45s

(you may need to add user=xx and group=yyy there depending on permissions)

finally tell exim to use that transport for your imap domains:

# send mail to local cyrus IMAP
cyrus:
        driver = accept
        domains = +imap_domains
        transport = lmtp_thru_socket

--
Power corrupts.  Absolute power - is kind of neat.
	- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987