silly question: how does mail get in the sent folder?

Jochen Staerk jstaerk at usegroup.de
Thu Nov 25 09:57:21 EST 2004

Hi,

I know that POP&IMAP are used for fetching mail, and SMTP is used for
sending mail, what bothers me is the question: what protocol is used for
moving mail, like from folder A to folder B? I suppose that is still IMAP?

Another thing, how do "sent" folders work? When I send mail, that goes
to my postfix. I understand there is something called LMTP in postfix
for local delivery, that hooks up with cyrus. When I send a mail, does
LMTP inform cyrus that this mail also belongs in my "sent" folder?

I've used UW IMAP before, and there was no such thing as LMTP, was SMTP
used for this situation, then? How does mail get delivered to cyrus, is
cyrus listening to a SMTP-port (a LMTP-Port?) for Postfix to connect to,
does Postfix connect with some special IMAP commands or does postfix
just place some files in some folders?

How comes theses files can have a different format from that used with
UW IMAP (standard Unix MBOX), then?

Sorry these questions relate to my basic understanding of IMAP and
Cyrus, I've read Managing IMAP (and "das Postfix-Buch") but they do not
really cover these kind of basics. If you know a good book, particularly
about Cyrus, please let me know.

Grateful for any clarifications,
Jochen

--