silly question: how does mail get in the sent folder?

Konrad Mauz kmauz at fh-konstanz.de
Thu Nov 25 10:31:02 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 03:57:21PM +0100, Jochen Staerk wrote:
> I know that POP&IMAP are used for fetching mail, and SMTP is used for
> sending mail, what bothers me is the question: what protocol is used for
> moving mail, like from folder A to folder B? I suppose that is still IMAP?

Yes, the client uses the IMAP protocol to move mails from one folder to
another folder.

> Another thing, how do "sent" folders work? When I send mail, that goes
> to my postfix. I understand there is something called LMTP in postfix
> for local delivery, that hooks up with cyrus. When I send a mail, does
> LMTP inform cyrus that this mail also belongs in my "sent" folder?
>
> I've used UW IMAP before, and there was no such thing as LMTP, was SMTP
> used for this situation, then? How does mail get delivered to cyrus, is
> cyrus listening to a SMTP-port (a LMTP-Port?) for Postfix to connect to,
> does Postfix connect with some special IMAP commands or does postfix
> just place some files in some folders?
>
> How comes theses files can have a different format from that used with
> UW IMAP (standard Unix MBOX), then?

No, no... postfix has nothing to do with your sent ( or sent-mail )
folder. This folder is managed by your mail client.

When you send a mail, your client makes a copy of your mail an save it
in the folder, which is configured to hold your sent mails.

This has nothing to do with cyrus, uw-imap or postfix.

Regards....

Konrad

--
Konrad Mauz Rechenzentrum Fachhochschule
Braunegger-Strasse 55, D 78462 Konstanz
e-mail: kmauz at fh-konstanz.de
Tel.:   +49(0)7531-206-472