silly question: how does mail get in the sent folder?

Jochen Staerk jstaerk at usegroup.de
Thu Nov 25 10:58:44 EST 2004

Hi there (especially Conrad and Dick),

>No, no... postfix has nothing to do with your sent ( or sent-mail )
>folder. This folder is managed by your mail client.

OK, I could have guessed that because I have to configure the name of it
in my MUA (feeling silly).

>When you send a mail, your client makes a copy of your mail an save it
>in the folder, which is configured to hold your sent mails.
>
>This has nothing to do with cyrus, uw-imap or postfix.

hmm. As long as you're referring to POP, I completely agree and
understand. But since IMAP-"Sent mail" is stored on a server folder, my
question is: how does it get there?

My MTA (Postfix) handles the incoming SMTP-Connections from my MUA, so I
could image there is some kind of SMTP command "store following content
in folder XYZ(sent) for user ABC". But this would mean that the
MX-Server always had to be identical to the Server where you get your
mail from, wouldn't it?

So there had to be something like (the possibility to state) a host
name, user name, and folder name in a SMTP-connection like "connect to
user jstaerk at host ABC and store the following mail in the folder
'sent-mail'"?

Sorry for being fussy but that knowledge could help me with my "how to
post to top-level-shared-folders"-question.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jochen Stärk

www.usegroup.de