virtual domains question

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Sun May 2 00:12:15 EDT 2004

Hi Andrzej

Thanks for the response.  Sorry I'm taking so long to follow up on this.
I thought it was a priority, but "the boss" (my wife) has other ideas.

> Which variant have you used ?
> [ there are three: mailertable, stickyhub, user]

I was trying the mailertable version.

>> My problem is that I'm also using MailMan 2.0.13 to host some email
>> lists
>> for the virtual domains.  Mail for these lists is usually resolved in
>> the
>> aliases file to go through a mailman command:
>>   listname at virtdomain:  "|wrapper post listname"
>>
>> With that entry (and all the others necessary for the list) in the
>> aliases
>> file, sendmail complains about "cannot alias non-local names".  Various
>> searches point to the 'A' flag that Andrzej mentions above.  I added
>> that
>> in, with no change in results.
>
> What is reported by the commands below:
> # which mailer is selected for listname at virtdomain before aliases
> echo '3,0 listname at virtdomain' | sendmail -bt

On my test system, the list is 'mylist at dtovey.local'

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> canonify           input: mytest @ dtovey . local
Canonify2          input: mytest < @ dtovey . local >
Canonify2        returns: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
canonify         returns: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
parse              input: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
Parse0             input: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
Parse0           returns: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
ParseLocal         input: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
ParseLocal       returns: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
Parse1             input: mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
MailerToTriple     input: < mrs_cyrus_mailertable : error : 5 . 1 . 1 :
550 User unknown > mytest < @ dtovey . local . >
mrs_cyrus_mailer   input: < error : 5 . 1 . 1 : 550 User unknown > mytest
< @ dtovey . local . >
MailerToTriple     input: < error : 5 . 1 . 1 : 550 User unknown > mytest
< @ dtovey . local >
MailerToTriple   returns: $# error $@ 5 . 1 . 1 $: 550 User unknown
mrs_cyrus_mailer returns: $# error $@ 5 . 1 . 1 $: 550 User unknown
MailerToTriple   returns: $# error $@ 5 . 1 . 1 $: 550 User unknown
Parse1           returns: $# error $@ 5 . 1 . 1 $: 550 User unknown
parse            returns: $# error $@ 5 . 1 . 1 $: 550 User unknown

> # which flags are set for cyrus mailers
> echo '=M' | sendmail -bt | grep cyrus

mailer 9 (cyrusv2): P=[IPC] S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP R=EnvToSMTP/HdrToL
M=0 U=0:0 F=/1:@ADFMXlmnqsz| L=0 E=\r\n T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP r=100 A=FILE
/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
mailer 10 (cyrusv2d): P=[IPC] S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP
R=EnvToSMTP/EnvToSMTP M=0 U=0:0 F=1ADFMXlmnqsz L=0 E=\r\n
T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP r=100 A=FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

>> If I remove the domain name from the
>> alias:
>>    listname:  "|wrapper post listname"
>>
>> I no longer get the "cannot alias" complaints from sendmail, but now the
>> mail is failing because there is no actual imap mailbox for the mail
>> lists.
>
> You can use virtusertable to redirect listname at virtdomain to listname.
> Since version 8.10 virtusertable can be consulted for some non local
> email domains (domain handled by mailertable).

Didn't work.  I still get the unknown user error.  If I create the
'mytest at dtovey.local' mailbox, the mail is accepted, but then it is
delivered into the cyrus mailbox and doesn't go through mailman at all.
It seems like the aliases are not being used at all.  I'm sure that I've
screwed something up, but I'm not sure where.

Thanks again for your help.

    /dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey