Cyrus and unexpected email volume

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Tue May 4 14:53:37 EDT 2004

Just wanting to relay a situation that happened here recently. A Domino
SMTP server on our internal network went nuts and tossed our Cyrus IMAP
server 483101 copies of a message in a short time span.

Our imap server is a modest dual 733Mhz PIII with 1GB of RAM and
hardware RAID5 for the disks. Postfix is the SMTP and Cyrus 2.1.16 is
what we're running.

What impressed me most on the Cyrus end was how well it handled the
large INBOXs some users found waiting for them. I've seen other IMAP
installs choke on this kind of message volume in a single folder but
Cyrus didn't blink at it.

For mail clients we let the users pick what they're happiest with
(daring, I know). Most use either Evolution or Mozilla mail. One of our
users who had 35,000 emails in his INBOX was using fetchmail to pull
down his imap mail locally. For that one user they logged in to our
Horde + IMP 3.1 web mail interface and was able to quickly filter,
delete, and purge the 35,000 emails in less than 3 min.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into Cyrus IMAPd to make it a
robust and open IMAP solution.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com>
Linux Technology Center System Admin