Delivery Behavior

ms419 at freezone.co.uk ms419 at freezone.co.uk
Mon May 10 19:20:49 EDT 2004

The "[cyr]deliver" manpage explains that if delivery is attempted to a
mailbox, "user.userid.mailbox", and "... the  ACL  on any  such
mailbox does not grant the sender the "p" right ... then delivers to
the INBOX for the userid, regardless of the ACL on the INBOX."

If delivery is attempted to any other mailbox, and "... the ACL on
mailbox does not grant the sender the "p" right, the delivery fails."

In my experience, if delivery is attempted to a mailbox,
"user.userid.mailbox", and the mailbox doesn't exist, delivery is also
instead made to the INBOX for the userid.

Instead of delivery failing or being made to the INBOX, I need
nonexistent mailboxes to be created. A patch for Sieve exists to do
this - http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autosievefolder/ - but I'm
not using Sieve.

I think a configuration option concerning what to do with messages
which couldn't be delivered would be great; reject them, deliver to an
INBOX, or create the missing mailbox.

I've been through the Cyrus code endeavoring to implement this, but I'm
not an experienced developer. Is the code to by default deliver
messages to an INBOX in "[cyr]deliver" or "lmtpd"?

Thanks very much!

Jack