complett relocation from old to new server and cyrus version
Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Wed May 12 04:49:18 EDT 2004
"Hans M. Schleidt" <hans.schleidt at hs-consulting.de> wrote:
> I hat to rebuild a new server with fully new cyrus. Now i must bring the
> old messages to the new cyrus. Only copy get wrong.
> What are the goals to do that? Wich files (mailboxes.db, cyrus.cache,
> cyrus.header, and so on) shout i bring it to the new system?
1. Dump your mailboxes-Database on the old system:
ctl_mboxlist -d > mailboxes.dump
Copy the resulting "mailboxes.dump" to the new server.
2. Copy the imap mail store 1:1 to the new server:
example (here on both machines, the store is in /var/spool/imap,
the target directory must exist and be writable by the cyrus user):
tar cvpf - . | ssh cyrus at newserver "cd /var/spool/imap; tar xpf -"
3. Copy the following directories to the new system
(do it like you have done with your mail store):
- Sieve (e.g. /var/imap/sieve)
- Quotas (e.g. /var/imap/quota)
- Seen/Subscribed (e.g. /var/imap/user)
Warning! This will work only if your new cyrus system uses the
same database backends as the old one!
Losing the databases results in the following:
- Quotas: The user will not have any quota restriction anymore.
- Seen/Sub: The user will not see which messages are marked
"read" nor it will now which mailboxes he was subscribed to.
4. Reconstruct a new mailboxes-Database on the new system:
ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes.dump
5. Run reconstruct on the new system.
6. When used quotas on the old system, run on the new one:
7. Tricky part: SASL user database
When sasldb was used, then:
If your new sasl lib uses the same database backend as the old one, you
may simply copy
your old sasldb to the new server when these conditions are met:
- Your realm is the same as on the old server.
- The database backend is the same
You may still set the same realm/imap server name as the old one in your
If your IMAP realm is your hostname or your sasl database backend is
another one, you
must use a program to dump the contents of the old sasldb. As passwords
are stored in clear-
text it is not very difficult to accomplish that.
Cyrus Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
Cyrus Wiki/FAQ: http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu
List Archives/Info: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/mailing-list.html
More information about the Info-cyrus