mail server replication

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Sun May 23 06:12:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> drbd in combination with "heartbeat" and a journalling filesystem can
> do exactly this. You can have Cyrus IMAP running on both servers
> (different users), with the Cyrus storage areas mirrored to the other
> server via drbd. When heartbeat notices that one of the servers has
> died, it can mount the other server's storage area (since it has a
> copy) and start up Cyrus (and take over the other server's IP address
> as well, of course).
>
> Users would notice a service disruption, but it's not likely any mail
> would be lost and they would only have to reconnect. If their mail
> client is set to only connect/check their mailboxes every few minutes,
> they may not notice the switchover at all :-)

Hmm, but this solution is only limited to linux (and if I'm correct only
suitable for 2.4 kernels yet - I'm not sure about any developments, they
talk about 2.5 on their website so it seems outdated as well).
I would rather have Cyrus do this master-slave replication thing than
doing this on the filesystem level. (Cyrus could for instance keep track
of every change that is done on a specific spool-dir/partition, and have
a slave act on that information...)

Paul