idle + sieve: only applies to INBOX?

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Fri May 21 09:50:56 EDT 2004

cyrus-imapd-2.2.4

I use sieve extensively to filter my email to several mailboxes
(dozens) and I noticed that Thunderbird 0.6 uses the IDLE extension.
Cool!

However, I also noticed that it is only applied to the INBOX mailbox,
and not the others.

So, how does idle work? Does it apply only to the currently selected
mailbox or to all mailboxes as a whole? If it applies only to the currently
selected mailbox, then should the client open one connection for each
mailbox, select it and issue the idle command in order to get notifications
for all mailboxes?