long lines in body causes "Message contains invalid header"

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Thu May 27 07:11:32 EDT 2004

Hello Henrique,

Thanks for your reply.

> > Exim (I call cyrdeliver from exim) bounced the message to inform the
>
> Fix it so that it does not include bogus messages in a DSN directly, but
> rather as an encoded attachment.

That is a good idea. I will try to figure out how to do that with exim.

> > The message contains an attachment with a very long line (an XML file
> > without linebreaks). It seems this triggered the cyrdeliver error. I
>
> This is not a well-formed message, unless the very long line is in an
> 8bit-clean octet-string MIME attachment, AFAIK.  But others can give you
> much better (and authoritative) answers than this :)

The attachment was:

Anyway, I see that RFC2821 (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) states:

  4.5.3.1 Size limits and minimums
  [...]
  text line
    The maximum total length of a text line including the <CRLF> is 1000
    characters (not counting the leading dot duplicated for
    transparency).  This number may be increased by the use of SMTP
    Service Extensions.

So indeed, it seems the mail is not well formatted. The question that
remains is how cyrus should deal with it... An "invalid header" error
seems a bit strange.

Maarten