Cyrus Woody backport

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Fri Mar 12 16:55:58 EST 2004

Henrique,
Thanks for making these available!!! I now have Cyrus 2.1.15 installed
and working on Debian Woody, authenticating to our LDAP server via
saslauthd-ldap (no pam). In case you're interested what stumbling blocks
I happened upon:

In imapd.conf, by the unixhierarchysep option, the following comment led
me astray somewhat:

# WARNING: This option does NOT apply to admin tools such as cyradm
# (admins ONLY), reconstruct, quota, etc., NOR does it affect LMTP
# delivery of messages directly to mailboxes via plus-addressing.

So, after setting "unixhierarchysep: yes", I went into cyradm and "cm
user.julesa", figuring that cyradm was not affected by this option. This
led to some odd behavior: sivtest -a julesa localhost returned
"Authentication failed. generic failure", which led me to fiddle with my
authentication setup over and over... After a while I noticed that the
user directories had not been created in the spool area, and eventually
figured out that going back into cyradm, deleting user.julesa, and
creating user/julesa was what I needed to do to get things working
properly. So it looks like that comment in imapd.conf is inaccurate. I
don't know about reconstruct, quota, etc. yet, but cyradm is definitely
affected by the unixhierarchysep option.

Less importantly, the cyrus21-imapd package doesn't seem to list
libsasl-modules as a dependency or recommended, and for a while I didn't
realize that I didn't have this package installed. I did eventually
figure it out thanks to your excellent documentation, but wouldn't it
make sense to list it as a recommended package if not a dependancy? I'm
not a debian developer, so I don't know what the policy is there, but it
would have saved me a little time.

All in all, these were pretty minor problems, and I really appreciate
all the effort you and all the other contributors to the Cyrus project
have made to build this great software. Thanks again!

-Jules

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator