Alternative ways of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown]

William K. Hardeman wont-i at wkh.org
Wed Mar 10 02:52:48 EST 2004

--On Monday, 08 March, 2004 19:30 -0500 "William K. Hardeman"
<wont-i at wkh.org> wrote:

> As I mentioned above, there is one situation where I have found that the
> above configuration does not work. This is when email is sent to a
> canonical hostname in the virtual domain. For example, mail to
> wont-i at wkh.org succeeds with no problems. Mail sent to
> wont-i at mail.wkh.org, however, does not succeed. Where I've run into
> problems, according to the debug, is that in the 2nd case, mail.wkh.org
> never makes it into the mailertable definition, but gets rewritten to the
> primary host's canonical hostname in the virtusertable steps, e.g.,
> wont-i at mail.wkh.org becomes wont-i at mail.hands-solutions.com. In the first
> example, wont-i at wkh.org successfully makes it to the mailertable lookup,
> and everything works successfully from there. Since I very very rarely
> have any mail sent to the MX record's canonical host name, I can live
> with this (for now anyway :-).

Just for completeness, I found the problem I was mentioning here, and it
didn't have anything to do with my sendmail.cf that I generated from the
.mc rulesets I previously posted. It had everything to do with my being
blind when looking at the local-host-names file. I had the mail.wkh.org
hostname in there and that was short-circuiting the mailertable lookup.

Doh!

Will

William K. Hardeman
wont-i at wkh.org
http://www.wkh.org

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then
do it.
--Robert A. Heinlein
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus