encoded packet size to big when copying 4k+ messages to server

William Turner wturner at psatellite.com
Mon Mar 1 16:51:54 EST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 1:23 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 14:04, William Turner wrote:
>> The client we've been trying it with is Mail.app (Apple). If you think
>> the client makes a difference in this case I'll see about getting
>> mozilla or mailutil installed (if possible on a Mac) and give that a
>> shot.
>
> Well, the mail client /might/ make a difference, if it's buggy. It's a
> good thing to try to eliminate by testing with another client.
>
> You could probably build mailutil on MacOS X with the OSX devel tools,
> though I haven't tried it and can't say for sure. It's part of the
> uw-imapd utilities. OTOH, Mozilla is available in precompiled form for
> OSX, so perhaps that might be an easier first thing to test.
>
> I /assume/ that Mail.app stores it's mail in a standard format like
> mbox
> (or can be persuaded to export to such a format)?
>
>> Is there some kind of utility or workaround that could be used on a
>> one
>> time or infrequent basis to achieve the same effect?
>
> I don't know enough about Mail.app to know. One of my users uses it,
> though, and it's given us no end of trouble - it seems to silently fail
> to store the sent folder on the server, for example, instead discarding
> sent messages silently. It's also not showing child folders of the
> users's INBOX, only the 'public' space. *sigh*.
That's too bad - other than the issue I'm describing, Mail has been
smooth sailing here. Mail does store in mbox format, and here's a link
describing how to access the messages -
http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html@mail.app. Unfortunately,
Thunderbird doesn't seem to support GSSAPI, or at least I couldn't
figure out how it does. Some reading indicated that there might exist
and extension for that purpose, but I couldn't find one. The reason
this is a problem is that our server only accepts GSSAPI
authentication. This limits the choice of mail clients a fair amount.
 From what I read, mailutil doesn't support GSSAPI either, or am I
wrong?

> BTW, you replied direct - it might be best to CC the list in your
> reply,
> so that others running into this problem later see the discussion and
> hopefully the solution.
Oops! Won't happen again ;)

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus