exim & lmtp mechs

TN tnuro at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 2 00:35:03 EST 2004

I've been trying to crack this problem for over a month, between the
exim & cyrus lists. Sometimes I think its a exim issue, sometimes cyrus.
I'm back onto cyrus :)

I've posted a lengthy explanation of what I am doing here:

but the short version is:

I have cyrus & exim on the same local server. I am using ldap
authentication (saslauths -a ldap), with virtual domains and the ldap
authentication is working fine - I can send & receive emails into my
ldap users. I am delivering mail from exim to cyus using smtp/lmtp -
preauthed using "lmtpd -a" in cyrus.conf
My little problem is that I am trying to use exim's authenticated_sender
to bypass the requirement of using anyone post acl's in cyrus so I can
post to suffixes. I can't get it to work - because exim doesn't attach
the AUTH= param onto the dialog it does with lmtp (verified by debug in
exim). It appears that this is because I don't have any auth mechanisms
on offer in the lmtp delivery (I am using lmtpd pre-auth "lmtpd -a"), so
my questions are:
how do I get lmtp to offer mechs to exim ?
Why doesn't pre-auth work ?
I've always assumed that lmtp would be going via saslauthd, which in
turn was authing via ldap - but this migth be wrong ?

I've noticed with pre-auth that ltmp says AUTH EXTERNAL as a mech, but
exim just ignores this it seems, and doesn't attach an AUTH= parameter
at all onto the MAIL cmd.

thanks for any help.
-Trevor.

I am using cyrus 2.2.3, exim 4.30