exim & lmtp mechs

TN tnuro at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 2 17:38:48 EST 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> I'm not an Exim expert (in fact, I've never used it), but from reading
> Philip's post, it appears that Exim will not pass AUTH= unless it has
> authenticated to lmtpd (although RFC 2554 states that this is not
> required).  By pre-authing lmtpd (lmtpd -a), you're preventing Exim
> from authenticating, unless you can find a way to tell Exim that it
> can use the EXTERNAL mechanism.  My guess is that if you remove the -a
> option (and connect via TCP) that Exim will do what you want.

Hi Ken, thanks for the feedback.

I thought the same as you & Philip, but if I remove pre-auth, then lmtp
offers no AUTH mechs at all. This is why I think I've got something
wrong on the lmtpd side, mail always fails without pre-auth so that's
why in the past I've just had it enabled. With pre-auth, mail is
delivered, but I cannot get authenticated_sender to appened AUTH=
without some lmtp mechs it likes which I imagine is any mech apart from
pre-auth. I can't  find a way of setting up lmtpd with mechs.
I've seen postfix guys setting up lmtp auth'ing to cyrus, but no hints
about how to setup the lmtp mechs themselves. I obviously have an
understanding gap somewhere, so I need some info about which mechs and
how to set them up for lmtpd.

I compiled cyrus 2.2.3 with only the configure option --with-saslauthd ;
should I use anything more ? When I used the debian package for
cyrus2.1, I still had this problem with authenticated_sender & lmtpd, so
I don't think its a problem peculiar to my compilation, but I'm no cyrus
expert. I've usually just used the debian packages but I in this case I
needed virtual domains so I had to compile 2.2.3 myself.

ciao
-Trevor.

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus