Bad index files.

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:01:59 EST 2004

Hello,

Answers to queries below their respective question.

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Earl R Shannon wrote:
>

>>Well, then. I'm at a loss to understand the behavior we see.
>>
>>Users can't connect to their account.
>>Go look and see the .NEW files. Hm.
>>Run a reconstruct and the .NEW files go away.
>>User problem fixed.
>>
>>Perhaps you can offer me an alternative explanation for
>>the behavior and we can fix what actually is broke. Thanks.
>

> Well running reconstruct will always delete .NEW files.
>
> What do you mean by "cannot log in"?\
Here's what happens when I proxy in for a user
1 select inbox
1 NO Mailbox has an invalid format

Sendmail is given the same error message when it tries to deliver
email to the user.

> What protocol is the user using?
IMAP, I used imtest to get the above info.

> Do you have IMAP transcripts?  Logfile information?
No. I can generate some if you really think they may be
more informative.

> It sounds like the index files themselves are corrupt, but the existence
> of .new files are almost certainly a red herring.

If so, how can we prevent the corruption from occuring? It always
seems to appear when we shut down the cyrus processes and start
them back up. Be nice if we didn't have to fix accounts simply
because we did a stop/start sequence.