auxprop vs saslauthd

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Mar 4 08:31:57 EST 2004

Will Prater wrote:
> List,
>
> I am authenticating users to a MySQL backend and currently I am using
> PAM and saslauthd, however, I wish to restrict certain users to only
> using POP.
>
> I can create different service names in cyrus.conf, however, this does
> not allow the different service identifiers in PAM and the only other
> workaround I can seem to find is using auxprop. Auxprop will let me have
> a different MySQL select statement for any cyrus service. This is ideal
> for restriction users access. Is there a way to do such a thing with
> PAM.  Can cyrus send a different service identifier for PAM when
> creating a new service in Cyrus.conf?

The SASL service name for each protocol is always passed to saslauthd
which in turn is passed to PAM.  I currently have different PAM configs
for IMAP (employees) and POP3 (family members).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus