Cyrus 2.2.3 authentication GSS-API - why?

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Thu Mar 4 08:59:40 EST 2004

Hi all.

I have a few simple questions (I hope).

I have noticed that Cyrus IMAP 2.2.3 has a rather extensive support for GSS-API
(part of Kerberos5). I'm pleased to see that all 4 major players in the
Kerberos5 arena are recognized (MIT, Heimdal, CS and SEAM).

However, I'm confused as to why this exists?

Isn't SASL supposed to handle GSS-API as one of it's mechanisms?
Why do I need to build GSS-API directly into Cyrus IMAP?
What do I gain by that?
Is there a separate Non-SASL, GSS-API authentication method for IMAP?

While we're at it, what do MS clients on a machine within Active Directory
Service (Kerberos5) use for authentication?

Nix.

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus