LMTP and big message header

Dmitry Alyabyev gw-cyrus at news.kiev.sovam.com
Fri Mar 12 11:50:20 EST 2004

Hello

I see interesting problem when deliver one message to Cyrus 2.2.3
this message couldn't be delivered during long period of time with diagnostic
info "LMTP timeout after end of data".
after looking closer I found that lmtpd began to eat memory/CPU very quick just
after receiving the whole message and finnaly terminated.
I've never seen this behavior before and it repeats every time I do deliver this
message so I begin to believe that the message is source of the problem.

the message in mail queue is splitted to two parts (I'm using Exim) - headers
(with suffix -H) and body (with suffix -D).
header part is slightly big - 37556 Bytes

-rw-r-----  1 exim  wheel  10651 Mar 12 18:03 1B1kbU-000NXH-QY-D
-rw-r-----  1 exim  wheel  37556 Mar 12 18:03 1B1kbU-000NXH-QY-H

body contains 200 lines of text and seems to be correct.
headers part contains 716 lines and the biggest part is  To: field with lots of
receipients like this:

To: xxx <xxx1 at host.com>,
        xxxx yyy <xxx2 at host.com>, yyy zzz <xxx3 at host.com>,

sure I can provide these two parts exactly as they are but not in list

any ideas why lmtpd was so confused by this message ?

--
Dimitry

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus