Remote User's SMTP relay authorization

John Gibson gib at edgate.com
Mon Mar 15 14:39:54 EST 2004

Hi, all.

I am trying to install Cyrus and Postfix to do three things.

1. Local IMAP
2. Remote/Roaming POP
3. Regular Mail transport.

I am using the Berkeley DB support within Cyrus to have simple
plain-text authentication after TLS is started to encrypt the sending
channel.  This is simple and is great for my small user community.

I have a sales team which needs to be able to use a SMTP relay while "on
the road".  There is a " TLS
<http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/postfix_tls/> patch by
Lutz Jaenicke." to Postfix which seems like it might be a good solution.
 The nice thing there is that by using CA user authentication, the
*user* is identified before SMTP relays are allowed.  However, the
number of  mail clients that can actually do this seem very limited
(netscape, mozilla ?).

I would appreciate any recommendations or success stories which utilize
Cyrus IMAP as the standalone mail server and also ways to allow SMTP
relaying to *only* our valid, authenticated users.

...john

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus