Remote User's SMTP relay authorization

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Mar 15 21:39:07 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, John Gibson wrote:
> Roaming ( my def.) : Users who access the internet from multiple IP
> addresses most of which are dynamically allocated (therefore unknown in
> advance).
>
> We do not want to support  permanent email storage at this time.  We
> just want people to be able to retrieve their mail and provide SMTP
> sending capability.  We want the IMAP/POP mail server to not require our
[...]

> The SMTP sending capability seems to be the biggest issue.

Well, if you have really terminantly brandamaged clients, DRAC will
do what you need.  Otherwise, instructing the users to use authenticated
SMTP would be the standard-compliant, tried and proven way to fix the issue
permanently.  They already have pop/imap login accounts, and it should be
easy to make the relay MTA authenticate against the same user directory.

It also produces much better trace logs with most MTAs :-)

  Henrique Holschuh
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus