setup problem - mail doesn't seem to move?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Mon Mar 15 22:03:05 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm setting up Cyrus-imapd 2.2.3 on a NetBSD 1.6.2
server, and am finding some odd behaviour.  This is
bound to be something I'm doing wrong!

I've got sendmail working, inbound mail comes in
just fine, but my imaps clients (I've tried
thunderbird 0.5 and outlook something) don't
seem to be able to move mail messages into the
Trash folder.  Outlook shows 'deleted' messages in
Inbox with a line through them, thunderbird doesn't show
them at all, and the mail files still exist in

/var/spool/imap/user/carl
rollcage2# ls -la
total 39
drwx------  4 cyrus  mail   512 Mar 16 11:42 .
drwx------  3 cyrus  mail   512 Mar 16 01:47 ..
-rw-------  2 cyrus  mail  2826 Mar 16 01:48 1.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   830 Mar 16 01:51 2.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   812 Mar 16 01:52 3.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail  8988 Mar 16 03:17 4.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail  2830 Mar 16 03:17 5.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   830 Mar 16 10:03 6.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail  1072 Mar 16 11:39 7.
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail  1072 Mar 16 11:41 8.
-rw-------  3 cyrus  mail  1073 Mar 16 11:42 9.
drwx------  2 cyrus  mail   512 Mar 16 11:42 Sent
drwx------  2 cyrus  mail   512 Mar 16 13:52 Trash
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail  8632 Mar 16 11:42 cyrus.cache
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   150 Mar 16 01:47 cyrus.header
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   616 Mar 16 11:43 cyrus.index

I've used Thunderbird to delete them all (1-9) but
they don't go away.  Copies end up in Trash, and empty
Trash empties the Trash directory, but the files are
staying in the top level dir.

I created my user accounts as follows :

cyradm --user cyrus localhost
localhost> cm user/carl
localhost> quit

My authentication all seems to work fine, as does the SSL link
for imaps.

Here's my imapd.conf and cyrus.conf files, can anyone
see what I've done wrong?

cyrus.conf :

# standard standalone server implementation

START {
   # do not delete this entry!
   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
#  idled                cmd="idled"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/socket
SERVICES {
   # add or remove based on preferences
   imap          cmd="imapd" listen="localhost:imap" prefork=0
   imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=0
   #pop3         cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0
   #pop3s                cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
   #sieve                cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

   # these are only necessary if receiving/exporting usenet via NNTP
#  nntp         cmd="nntpd" listen="nntp" prefork=0
#  nntps                cmd="nntpd -s" listen="nntps" prefork=0

   # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
#  lmtp         cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
   lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

   # this is only necessary if using notifications
#  notify       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/imap/socket/notify"
proto="udp" prefo
rk=1
}

EVENTS {
   # this is required
   checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

   # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression,
   # Sieve or NNTP
   delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400

   # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
   tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}

imapd.conf :

# $NetBSD: imapd.conf,v 1.1.1.1 2004/01/18 12:42:12 recht Exp $
#
# Cyrus IMAP server configuration file.  Refer to imapd.conf(5) for
# more options.

configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
sieveusehomedir: true
hashimapspool: false
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
altnamespace: yes
unixhierarchysep: yes
virtdomains: yes
defaultdomain: bl.echidna.id.au

admins: cyrus

# Use the saslauthd daemon to verify plaintext passwords.  Please ensure
that
# the saslauthd daemon is running before trying to authenticate.
#
#sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop

# The server certificate and key files must be specified for the
# server to repond to IMAPS or POP3S requests.  See imapd.conf(5) for
# a complete listing of tls_* options.
#
tls_cert_file: /var/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /var/imap/server.pem

All the folder permissions seem ok, I followed the instructions on
the Install notes faithfully.

thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Carl

---