Sieve for shared mailboxes

Stephen Grier s.e.grier at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 09:45:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:09, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Stephen Grier wrote:
>
> > What is the current situation with Sieve for shared mailboxes? I've read
> > the discussion from last July on the cyrus-devel list, subject
> > "[PROPOSAL] Sieve for shared mailboxes", but I can't find any anything
> > on the subject more recent than this.
> >
> > Is it still the intention to use the IMAP ANNOTATE extension to hold a
> > /sieve value indicating the Sieve script to run for a particular shared
> > mailbox?
>
> The biggest issue with sieve opn shared folders is how to use them.  Are
> they only executed when mail is delivered via LMTP, or are they executed
> any time a message is inserted into the mailbox?

Isn't it the case that for user-space mailboxes, sieve scripts are only
applied on delivery via LMTP, and not when a message is copied or
fileintod it? I don't see why the same behaviour wouldn't be adequate
for shared mailboxes.

>                                                   Are sieve scripts
> inherited by subfolders, etc?

This is effectively the case with user-space mailboxes, although I
realise this is because sieve scripts are applied to users rather than
mailboxes. Again, the same behaviour would be appropriate for shared
mailboxes. This might be a bit tricky using IMAP annotations though.

I think for the sort of sieve functionality we need on shared mailboxes
here, I would be happy to just have lmtpd look for scripts owned by the
postuser user, and apply that to all mail destined for a shared mailbox.
Are there any complicating factors in implementing this? I'm looking at
the deliver function of lmtpd.c, and it appears to be fairly straight
forward to do this.

--

Stephen Grier
Systems Developer