Sieve for shared mailboxes

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Mar 20 21:30:16 EST 2004

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Stephen Grier wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:09, Ken Murchison wrote:
>>
>>>The biggest issue with sieve opn shared folders is how to use them.  Are
>>>they only executed when mail is delivered via LMTP, or are they executed
>>>any time a message is inserted into the mailbox?
>>
>>Isn't it the case that for user-space mailboxes, sieve scripts are only
>>applied on delivery via LMTP, and not when a message is copied or
>>fileintod it? I don't see why the same behaviour wouldn't be adequate
>>for shared mailboxes.
>

> Agreed.
>

>>>                                                  Are sieve scripts
>>>inherited by subfolders, etc?
>>
>>This is effectively the case with user-space mailboxes, although I
>>realise this is because sieve scripts are applied to users rather than
>>mailboxes. Again, the same behaviour would be appropriate for shared
>>mailboxes.
>

> Agreed.
>

>>This might be a bit tricky using IMAP annotations though.
>

> Why?  Do annotations *always* have to be recursive in nature?
> I've noticed some of the recent discussions on mta-filter, and there
> it seems that message expiration could be folder-specific, and not
> necessarily recursive.
>
> (Personally, I wish there was a way to specify that expiration could
> either be recursive or not.  I briefly played with something like
> that for squat, but I don't know if there's any interest in that, and
> I didn't really pursue it.)
>

>>I think for the sort of sieve functionality we need on shared mailboxes
>>here, I would be happy to just have lmtpd look for scripts owned by the
>>postuser user, and apply that to all mail destined for a shared mailbox.
>>Are there any complicating factors in implementing this? I'm looking at
>>the deliver function of lmtpd.c, and it appears to be fairly straight
>>forward to do this.
>

> I would be anxious about this. Not only do we have a ton of shared
> folders, but some see some pretty serious traffic. To have all of
> that unconditionally going through one Sieve script worries me.
>
> Also, if it were possible to tie a Sieve script to a folder (any
> folder?), perhaps it would be possible to leverage the loginuseacl
> imapd.conf setting with timsieved.  That is, if a user had the admin
> ACL item on a shared folder, that user would be able to update the
> Sieve script on that folder.  I know some of our folks would be
> really tickled to have that.  In fact in a few cases the need was so
> pressing for that that I just created the "shared" folder under the
> "user." hierarchy.

Any work on Sieve for shared mailboxes would probably start with one
script per mailbox, without inheritance, and would only be processed at
deliver time via LMTP.

Having the script processed is the easy part.  The hard part is managing
the script(s).  MANAGESIEVE has no facility for scripts per mailbox,
just scripts per user.  We have the same problem when we commit the
Sieve "include" extension, which defines a "global" namespace.

I think before we attack the execution of scripts for shared folders, we
need to address the management of the scripts.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127

Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus