Cyrus 'breaks' RFC?!

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 17 22:55:26 EST 2004

Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Someone I've been setting up an account for, kept getting the same mail
> over and over again. Having questioned him about it, he said that he had
> the 'keep mail on server' option in Outlook. (*sigh* why can't people
> use _real_ MUA's)
>
> Then he said that *cyrus* was breaking the RFC since it wasn't supposed
> to send mail that was already sent, because Outlook requests from the
> last msgid.

Cyrus, or any other POP3 server, only sends the messages that the client
asks for.  Sounds to me like Outlook is broken.  Most likely its not
keeping track of the UIDs correctly.  This sounds like a problem which
has been discussed on the list before.  Outlook doesn't seem to like the
format or length of the UIDs that Cyrus uses, even though they are
completely legal per the RFC and no other client has any problems.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127

Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus