Problems with backup using xfs_freeze

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Fri Mar 19 15:28:01 EST 2004

Hi

I am having some problems on creating backups for /var/lib/imap on a
Linux 2.4.22 system, with cyrus-imapd-2.1.15 (Mandrake RPM), using LVM
and the xfs_freeze feature of XFS.

This is the sequence of commands used:

xfs_freeze -f /var/lib/imap
lvcreate [... parameters ...]
xfs_freeze -u /var/lib/imap

The problem is that the ``xfs_freeze -u'' is not working, and the
filesystem remains frozen, which causes the server load average to raise
up to around 400. This only happens with /var/lib/imap (we are using the
same commands on /var/spool/imap without problems), and it does not
happen all the time.

The script that makes the backup runs from cron at 4:02am localtime. I
was wondering if there could be any conflict with ctl_deliver, which is
run at 4:00am, but the logs indicate that ctl_deliver only takes a few
seconds to run.

I've search the archives and found people saying that the xfs_freeze
command works fine for them, so I wonder if there's any step I could be
missing.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Andre Nathan

---