Authentication (Total Confusion)

Mike's List mikelist at sky.net
Wed Mar 24 10:04:39 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Mike's List wrote:
>
> > If I create a user 'test' via Unix with /etc/passwd & shadow and execute
> > saslauthd -a shadow, I can login via Squirrelmail but receive an error
> > because Squirrelmail can't find the mailbox.  If I create a user 'test'
> > under cyradm I can't login via saslauthd -a shadow/pam/login/ldap/rimap/
> > getpwent.  I'm not interested in saslauthd -a shadow, if I understood
> > Cyrus IMAP, you can create user's e-mail without adding Unix accounts and
> > uses different authentication scheme.
>
> You need to create the account in your authentication backend (whatever
> that is -- and it certainlhy doesn't have to be "shadow"), *and* you need
> to create the mailbox (in this case, user.test).

Yes, I did create user.test under cyradm (cm user.test) and saw all the
folders in the appropriate places.  How do you create the authentication
backend?  I read http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/sasl/sysadmin.html
and it's all confusing.

I have SASL installed, I did 'saslpasswd2 -c test' (account created with
cyradm and I did 'saslauthd -a rimap -O 192.168.2.3) what do I need to do
to get authentication backend running and for Squirrelmail and IMAPD
authenticate properly?

Thanks.

- Mike

---