Upgrade/reconstruct failures

Rob Tanner rtanner+cyrus at linfield.edu
Fri Mar 26 13:55:02 EST 2004

Hi,

I am moving from an old style ESYS (based on a 1.x version of CMU) to the
latest and greatest Cyrus 2.2.3 on a new box with a single 140GB mirrored
partition to hold all the mail spools.  On the system I'm upgrading from, we
had multiple partitions.  Since I am merging the mail into a single
partition, I wrote a quick and dirty perl script to replace the various
partition declarations in the mailboxes file with the dingle partition,
"default".  I took that output and fed it into ctl_mboxlist -u to create the
new mailboxes database.

However, when I attempt to do a reconstruct -r on a hierarchy of user
mailboxes, about half the mailboxes fail with the message: "Mailbox has an
invalid format". I can create a new mailbox and then from a unix shell, move
all the files into the new box and do a reconstruct on that, and it works
fine.  Next I did a ctl_mboxlist -d and compared the entry for a mailbox that
failed to reconstruct with one that succeeded, and everything looks the way I
expect it to.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Tanner
Linfield College