Storage and backup for large IMAP servers?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 18 06:46:18 EDT 2004

Hi,

--On Donnerstag, 17. Juni 2004 14:42 Uhr -0500 Gary Mills
<mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> We have people who are asking for unreasonable amounts of e-mail
> space.

what's reasonable lies in the eye of the beholder ... ;-)

>  I'd like to estimate a configuration that would supply that
> amount of space, just to see what it might cost, and how it could
> be managed.
>
> Let's say we have 3000 employees, and want to give them 1 GB each.
> That's 3 TB of space.

We currently have lower quotas (500 MB for employees, 20 MB for students),
but more users.

> What are people using for that amount of IMAP
> storage, with reasonable performance?

A SAN. Currently we're using a SCSI RAID (internally there are IDE hard
drives) of 1.5 TB, but we've recently installed a 40 TB SAN that we will be
using (not only for mail).

>  How do you provide backup and
> restore capability for it?

Tivoli Storage Manager.

> Would a storage system that provides
> on-line snapshots simplify the backup requirements?

I suppose.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK