Auto Create Quota

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Mon Jun 28 23:48:52 EDT 2004

Hi Norman,

I believe the autocreate quota setting is to allow users to create their
own INBOX and enable the automatic setting of a quota when they do.
to quote the imapd.conf man page:

      autocreatequota: 0
           If nonzero, normal users may create  their  own  IMAP
           accounts  by  creating the mailbox INBOX.  The user's
           quota is set to the value if it is  positive,  other-
           wise the user has unlimited quota.

We use this in an automatic provisioning script that allows users to
activate their own mail accounts.   The script logs the user in and then
executes the imap command "create INBOX"   the autocreatequota feature
allows them to do this and sets their quota as appropriate.

As far as I know this setting has absolutely zero impact on mailboxes
created by the cyrus administrator through IMAP or cyradm calls.   If
you need to do this as one step, create a script to create mailboxes
that will execute both the create mailbox, set quota and any other
appropriate commands.

Hope this helps,
John