understanding squat indexes

Jukka Salmi jukka-asg at 2004.salmi.ch
Tue Jun 29 11:47:02 EDT 2004

Ken Murchison --> info-cyrus (2004-06-29 09:58:42 -0400):
> Jukka Salmi wrote:
> >if I set the "squat" attribute (either the mailbox or the server metadata)
> >using cyradm(1), do I still have to run squatter(8) to actually create the
> >index files, or is this done automagically?
>
> You need to run 'squatter -a' periodically.  The -a option tells it to
> create indexes for those mailboxes which have the "squat" attribute set
> rather than having to list them on the command line.

Very nice, thanks!

Jukka

P.S.: for the archives: on my NetBSD/i386 1.6.2 system the open file size
limit was set too low (64) for squatter to succeed; it complained

Indexing mailbox user.jukka... Writing index update: Too many open files

Increasing the soft limit to the value of the hard limit solved the problem:

$ cat squatter.sh
#!/bin/sh
ulimit -n -S $(ulimit -n -H)
squatter -a -s