Issue's with socketmap (smmapd) under heavy load?

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Wed Jul 14 15:23:58 EDT 2004

Lenny wrote:
> 1) This looks odd to me, but here it is (ran through "time"):
>
> time emecho "/map melen at logical.net" | sendmail -bt -d60.5 -d38.20
> ldapmap_open(VirtHost, 0): opening new connection
> ldapmap_lookup(VirtHost, )
> ldapmap_close(VirtHost)
> seq_map_parse(aliases.files, )
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> Enter <ruleset> <address>
>
>> No key specified
>
> real    0m0.026s
> user    0m0.020s
> sys     0m0.000s

Make it
time echo "/map cyrus melen at logical.net" | sendmail -bt -d60.5 -d38.20

In the command you had used the map name  was missing.

> 2) smmapd cyrus.conf entry:
>
>   smmapd        cmd="/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/smmapd"
> listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/socketmap" prefork=1

Looks OK [you may prefork more smmapd processess (5?) ]

> 3) ulimit -a:
>
> core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
> data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
> file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
> max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
> max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
> open files                    (-n) 1024
> pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
> stack size            (kbytes, -s) 10240
> cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes            (-u) 7168
> virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

It looks OK to me

> I'm just having bizare problems. I have 2 frontends and 1 backend in a
> murder
> configuration. If I have ANY kind of mail load incoming then the whole
> system
> craps out (under what I'd consider very light load actually). I
> currently have
> 1 frontend setup to accept pop and imap connection and the other frontend
> running sendmail and delivering mail via lmtp. If I turn on sendmail,
> then all
> of a sudden my pop login times exceed 30 seconds. I'm quite at a loss. I
> don't
> know if it's a frontend problem or a backend problem.

30s delay make ident query the primary suspect.

1) Take a looka at the link below
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.12
Q3.12 -- Why do connections to the SMTP port take such a long time?

2) Check if you sendmail is compiled with TCPWRAPPERS
echo "" | sendmail -bt -d0.1 | grep TCP

TCPWRAPPERS uses external library which does its own ident lookups.

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/   http://anfi.homeunix.net/cyrus/