umlaut/8bit chars in sieve vacations?

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Jul 21 02:18:44 EDT 2004

> Hi!
>
> I just updated a cyrus-imapd from 2.0.x to 2.2.6, and realized that the
> sievec compiler does not eat 8bit characters. Perhaps it shouldn't do it

You have to encode the scripts with UTF-8.
In my rpms I use a bash function like this on upgrade:

# cvt_to_utf8 [file]
cvt_to_utf8() {
  target="$1"
  if [ -s "$target" ]; then
    if ! $sievec "$target" "${target}.sievec"; then
      iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-1 --to-code=UTF-8
--output="${target}.UTF-8" "$target"
      if [ -s "${target}.UTF-8" ]; then
        # preserve timestamp
        touch --reference="$target" "${target}.UTF-8"
        mv -f "${target}.UTF-8" "$target"
      else
        ERRVAL=$[ $ERRVAL + 1 ]
      fi