service-thread.c: add logging of EMFILE [per process open file descriptors limit]

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Fri Jul 23 11:48:19 EDT 2004

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Andrzej Filip wrote:
>
>> Could service-thread.c log getting EMFILE error from accept call ?
>> [ EMFILE The per-process limit of open file descriptors has been
>> reached ]
>>
>> I am under impression that at least two problems with smmapd (socket
>> map daemon) reported to the list had been caused by hitting EMFILE.
>

> I know there was a recent file descriptor leak in the quota code, were
> there others?

Not to my knowledge. Could you post for future reference which cyrus-imap
versions are afected by it ?

>> I am sure it would help to identify some problems in other services too.
>
> Where would you like to add this logging, specifically?

After analyzing (more seriously) code in cyrus-imapd-2.2.6 (switch after
accept in service-thread.cfile ) I think that it will do what I requested.

For "other errno codes" it executes among other things:
    syslog(LOG_ERR, "accept failed: %m")
[ where %m is replaced by string produded by strerror(saved_errno) ]

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]