Please help with Simon's Cyrus RPMS (2.2.8), SMP, and really slow performance

mgrommet at sigmarep.com mgrommet at sigmarep.com
Sat Jul 31 03:20:31 EDT 2004

I'm really stumped here.

I have two seperate machines... one very high end, dual CPU machine, raid
5, etc, the other is a piece of crud (standard low end workstation).

Both machines are running Redhat Enterprise Server 3...
the SMP machine is running the redhat 2.4.21-4.ELsmp stock kernel...
the cheapie machine is running he redhat 2.4.21-4.EL stock kernel...

On the cheap machine, performance is blazingly fast...
an imtest generates a full test in 2-3 seconds.

On the SMP machine, performance is horrendous...  taking ~27 seconds to
generate the same test results.

I've actually had the same problem on 2 completely different SMP machines
running ES 3

It should be noticed that cyrus works 100%, just slowly.  This same
machine ran 2.0.16 very quickly for 2 years.

I'm really hoping that someone has seen this problem, or can give me some
ideas what to try, or what to look for.

Are there any known problems with cyrus on SMP machines?  RedHat ES?