nntp fiddling

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Jan 3 21:52:52 EST 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Nils Vogels wrote:
>
>> Ken Murchison wrote:

>>> Cool!  Thanks for the feedback.  You're one of only two people that
>>> has given me any substantial feedback on the NNTP support in 2.2.
>>>
>>> Happy New Year!
>>>
>> I've been fiddling around a bit as well, but the main problem is, that
>> I do not have access to an NNTP feed, and Cyrus didn't not support
>> pulling one in (using MODE READER, and sucking in articles). In the
>> end, having to make a chain with an intermediate program that did the
>> Cyrus <--> ISP NNTP server interaction and LMTP injection turned out
>> to be rather a pain, hence I dropped the idea altogether, unfortunately.
>>
>> If this could be changed, I would love to try again ;-)
>

> Cyrus 2.2 includes the fetchnews program which will grab articles from
> an upstream server using the NEWNEWS command.  If the upstream server
> doesn't allow NEWNEWS, then you can use the sucknews program
> (http://home.comcast.net/~bobyetman/index.html).

I just spent some time over the last few days adding a non-NEWNEWS mode
to fetchnews, so you no longer need to use sucknews.  You can either
force fetchnews to not use NEWNEWS by using the -n option, or if the
server doesn't support it, fetchnews will automatically fall back to
using the non-NEWNEWS mode.

In the non-NEWNEWS mode, fetchnews keeps track of the high water marks
of each group in a fetchnews.db (essentially a newsrc file using the
flat cyrusdb backend) and uses them to fetch articles that have arrived
since the last invocation.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127