nntp fiddling

Nils Vogels nivo at yuckfou.org
Sat Jan 3 22:03:29 EST 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

>> Nils Vogels wrote:

>>> I've been fiddling around a bit as well, but the main problem is,
>>> that I do not have access to an NNTP feed, and Cyrus didn't not
>>> support pulling one in (using MODE READER, and sucking in articles).
>>> In the end, having to make a chain with an intermediate program that
>>> did the Cyrus <--> ISP NNTP server interaction and LMTP injection
>>> turned out to be rather a pain, hence I dropped the idea altogether,
>>> unfortunately.
>>>
>>> If this could be changed, I would love to try again ;-)
>>

>> Cyrus 2.2 includes the fetchnews program which will grab articles
>> from an upstream server using the NEWNEWS command.  If the upstream
>> server doesn't allow NEWNEWS, then you can use the sucknews program
>> (http://home.comcast.net/~bobyetman/index.html).
>

> I just spent some time over the last few days adding a non-NEWNEWS
> mode to fetchnews, so you no longer need to use sucknews.  You can
> either force fetchnews to not use NEWNEWS by using the -n option, or
> if the server doesn't support it, fetchnews will automatically fall
> back to using the non-NEWNEWS mode.
>
> In the non-NEWNEWS mode, fetchnews keeps track of the high water marks
> of each group in a fetchnews.db (essentially a newsrc file using the
> flat cyrusdb backend) and uses them to fetch articles that have
> arrived since the last invocation.

Muchos gracias ;-)

I will try this ASAP! Could you tell me, where I can find the new
fetchnews? Is it in CVS?

I also had a sucknews (but then in reverse) to grab the posts done on
the Cyrus newsserver to be fed towards USENET, since my provider only
allows me to use the POST command, and from what I recall, Cyrus uses
IHAVE ? (Could be a little bit off here, not sure anymore).

Will I still need to use the sucknews to fetch articles from Cyrus and
transport them to USENET, or did I misread the docs on this one ? ;-)

Gr,

Nils.

--
Simple guidelines to happiness: