Trouble logging with syslog

Simon Brady simon.brady at otago.ac.nz
Wed Jan 7 19:55:02 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jason Williams wrote:

> However, the only snag I have run into is getting syslog to log information
> to /var/log/imapd.log, as suggested on the cyrus web site.
>
> Here is what I have in my syslog.conf file:
>
> local6.debug                                    /var/log/imapd.log
> auth.debug                                      /var/log/auth.log
>
> auth.log works no problem, but not imapd.log

Are you certain the FreeBSD package logs to local6? For example, the
Debian package is modified to log to mail instead. If you can't find
anything in the docs, a crude approach would be catch *.debug then
selectively add ";foo.none" on to the end of it until you find which one
imapd is using.

Simon Brady                             mailto:simon.brady at otago.ac.nz
ITS Technical Services
University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand