imap migration tools

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Jan 8 11:24:27 EST 2004

> Hi folks,
>
> I've just set up a new machine and have everything working almost exactly
> the way I want. I am at the last stage of migrating off an old system. I
> often see discussions here about which tools people need to do a proper
> migration from one server to another, but apparently my search foo is
> kinda weak.
>
> Basically I want to do a copy from IMAP to IMAP, both servers being cyrus
> - one version 2.1 and the other 2.2. From the searches I ran it seems that
> the general concensus is to use imapcp, however it's homepage seems to
> think it's experimental software and it hasn't been updated since august.
> I don't mind unsupported, but experimental kinda frightens me :-)
>
> In any case, I tried something similar a long time ago and I remember
> having issues with various mailboxes that simply had a crapload of mail in
> them. I'm wondering what people's experiences are moving several thousand
> messages in one mailbox and 1-500 megs worth of mail for any one folder. I
> don't want the script dieing half way through the transfer.

If you want to migrate _all_ 2.1 accounts to the 2.2 server, couldn't you
just directly transfer the mailspool and the other files to the new server
using rsync or something. (If you have different DBx versions on the
servers, the db files have to be converted too). That's what I did once
migrating from 2.0 to 2.1.

Simon