Is Reiserfs better than ext3

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Fri Jan 9 23:26:12 EST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Oliver Jones wrote:

> Speaking of FS corruption.  In the past I've had corruption occur with
> Reiser FS for no readily apparent reason.  I've never had the same thing
> happen with ext2.  And until recently I've never had it happen with
> ext3.  Recently though I did have a workstation corrupt it's ext3
> /usr/bin director.  No idea why either.  So I don't think any system is
> completely immune but I do trust code with a ext2 heritage more than
> pretty much any other Linux FS.

How much research did you do before setting up your reiser system? I've
found that with anything not supported primarily in the kernel tree,
you've gotta find the right set of patches for your system to make sure
everything runs smooth.

I have been running reiser on a linux box of mine now for quite some time
and, well, I've NEVER had a problem with it. For some reason the system
will crash every 3-4 months or so, haven't quite figured out why, but I
think it has to do with extreme machine loads. In any case, I've not had
any problems with reiser corruption when the machine comes back up. This
has happened a number of times.

I also think it has to do with how you have your partitions formatted and
stuff. From a recovery standpoint, I tend to use ext2/3 for my system
paths (/, /usr, /boot, /var) because no matter what linux rescue system
you use, they all support ext2/3. For the partitions where I keep my mail
spools I use reiser without incident :-)
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass