Cyrus and Postfix question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri Jan 9 16:12:04 EST 2004

Hello everyone.

Wanted to get some feedback from people running cyrus and postfix.

I've been able to get the two to work together, but I had a question on the
following. (Note, I read the LMTP_README provided with postfix to find more
info)

I noticed that you can have two different options setup in postfix; LMTP
over UNIX domain sockets or LMTP over TCP.

I was curiouus if there is a better way to go, or is it dependent upon what
your setup is?

For instance, in my main.cf I have:

mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp

Which works, but so does:

mailbox_transport = cyrus

What's the difference? Is one better than the other? I'm looking more for
stability than anything else.

I'm trying to find out more information for postfix. Seeing that it may not
do what I want, sendmail may be the other option, but I wanted to ask other
postfix and cyrus users here, on this list to get their feedback.

I appreciate it.

Jason