Cyrus and Postfix question

Nick Fisher cyrus at nickdafish.com
Fri Jan 9 17:30:00 EST 2004

> Hello everyone.
>
> Wanted to get some feedback from people running cyrus and postfix.
I'm a bit of a tourist on this list but I've been using both happily for a
few years now.....

> I've been able to get the two to work together, but I had a question on
> the
> following. (Note, I read the LMTP_README provided with postfix to find
> more
> info)
>
> I noticed that you can have two different options setup in postfix; LMTP
> over UNIX domain sockets or LMTP over TCP.
>
> I was curiouus if there is a better way to go, or is it dependent upon
> what
> your setup is?
Frankly I would stay away from LMTP over TCP unless you really want
annother port to firewall on you machine. I always try and keep it simple.

> For instance, in my main.cf I have:
>
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
>
> Which works, but so does:
>
> mailbox_transport = cyrus
>
> What's the difference? Is one better than the other? I'm looking more for
> stability than anything else.
I would say used the second option. That uses the cyrus setting from
postfix's master.cf. Doing that gives good readability (for when you come
back to this in a few years wondering what you did) and a bit more
controll. By using the master.cf entry you can set delivery options and
the like. Though the cyrus entry in postfix's master.cf uses cyrus's
'deliver' app and not LMTP.

In my case I wrote a wrapper around deliver that filters the mail through
SpamAssassin.

> I'm trying to find out more information for postfix.
You know that this is the cyrus list right ;)

> Seeing that it may
> not
> do what I want, sendmail may be the other option,
Eeek! If you don't find postfix to your liking then check out qmail or
exim. I played with sendmail once...... ONCE. That was enough.

  Nick